Oregon Notary Public Commission Requirements and Information
Secretary of State
Notary Commission Qualifications
• be at least 18 years old;
• be a resident of Oregon or a resident of a bordering state that is regularly employed in the State of Oregon;
• be of good moral character;
• not have had a notary commission revoked for misconduct within 5 years of the date applying;
• not have been convicted of a felony or lesser charge incompatible with the duties of a notary public within 10 years of the date applying; and
• be able to read and write the English language.
How to Apply
See detailed information including applicable fees, on the website of the Oregon Secretary of State: http://sos.oregon.gov/business/Pages/notary.aspx
Term of Office
4 Year Term
Notary Education and/or Exam Requirement
Education Course Required (3-hour, state-approved, online or classroom environment course and open-book written exam)
→Examination is included with the notary application. New and renewing (only if commission has lapsed) notaries are required to complete the education course.
Notary Bond Requirement
Notary Recordbook (Journal) Requirement
Notary Seal Requirement
Ink Stamp Required
→Ink stamp must contain permanent black ink. Seal impression must be photographically reproducible. Embossing seal may only be used in conjunction with official ink stamp.
• take acknowledgments;
• administer oaths and affirmations;
• witness or attest signatures;
• take verifications upon oath or affirmation; and
• certify/attest copies.
→ONLY notaries described in ORS 194.070 are also authorized to protest negotiable instruments (commercial paper).
Change of Name, Address or Eligibility Status
See detailed information on the website of the Oregon Secretary of State: http://www.filinginoregon.com/pages/notary/forms/index.html
Contact Information for the State of Oregon
State Notary Website
State of Oregon Online Notary Resources and Aids
Office of the Secretary of State
255 Capitol St NE, Suite 151
Salem, OR 97310-1327
Apostille Certification Information
$10.00 per document
This information was complied by the American Society of Notaries • Copyright 2012
Last Updated NOVEMBER 2012